To Main Petroglyph Page To Main Page
1. "Prehistoric Rock Art of Nevada and Eastern California" Robert
F. Heizer and Martin A. Baumhoff. 1962 University of California
Press Berkeley, California
-The best modern scientific analysis of Petroglyphs
2. "Ancient Rock Carving of the Central Sierra: The North Fork
Indian Petroglyphs" Willis A. Gartner 1984 Portola Press Woodside CA.
- Another good objective archaeological study.
3. "Picture-Writing of the American Indians" Garrick Mallery 1972
Dover Press (Republication of the Tenth Annual Report of the Bureau
of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute 1888-89)
-The first catalog of American Indian and International petroglyphs
and pictographs. Some fascinating interpretations from last century.
4. "Ancient North America - The Archaeology of a Continent" Brian
M. Fagan 1991 Thames & Hudson, New York.
- A good archaeology textbook.
5. "Ancient Ruins of the Southwest" David Grant Noble 1991
Northland Publishing, Flagstaff AZ.
- An archaeological guide to Indian and Anasazi ruins and cliff
6. "America B.C." Barry Fell, 1989 Pocket Books, New York.
- An alternative (however biased) view and interpretation to Pre-
Columbian commerce between Europe and the New World.
Interesting listing of ruins and artifacts.
7. "Ice Age Earth - Late Quaternary Geology and Climate" Alastair
G. Dawson 1992 Routledge, London UK.
- The climate has changed drastically and catastrophically over
the last 10,000 years, a blink of the eye in geological terms. The
environment of early settlers in North America can not be ignored in
interpreting artifacts and ruins.
To Main Petroglyph Page
To Main Page